Saturday, October 24, 2009

Compassionate style

My son used to drive around his city in a very flashy car. I would be nervous about it since he lives in a city known for car jacking and with these economic times being what they are. I think it matters how flashy we are and what we present to the public. If we are lucky enough to have "bling" and we flaunt it personally I think we are asking for it. On the other hand, it is sad we don't get to flaunt our hard work or good fortune with cars and gems and sparkly things. These are very challenging times and it is irresponsible to be unaware and to show off our personal wealth. Compassion is over looked as a virtue, and it is a virture. I find it very attractive. I feel for all of us who are struggling in every way, deeply. Again wear the bling and drive the bling in private or in a gated community. The kind where you can drive from the mansion to the golf course in seconds (better yet ride a bike) expensive of course. That way it limits the exposure. Italy was a hot bed of kidnapping in the 70's everyone who remotely smelled of money was being held for ransom. Oh sure they were usually not harmed. Scared but not harmed. Of course, if the money was delivered. I remember as a kid being told never to wear jewels or flashy watches in Europe. It just wasn't done. The same in Rio in Brazil. I like the idea of being discreet. I come from the other side of that new money unbridled unmet needs etc...of course the real old money people in America don't reek of cash or anything new. They come from the school of trust funds and fiscal discretion in fact some of the shabbiest (worn out furniture) homes were on large acreage of the fantastically wealthy people. Go figure. I remember when I realized that to have real fortune one didn't have to show it. In fact the Nouveau riche were the tackiest with the latest and greatest most expensive stuff. Even today kids who come from abroad tend to down play their money, it's chic to pretend to be poor.

Balance.

Some of us are forced to down size and scrimp and it isn't such a bad trait to learn this scrimping. My friend Micheal saved his show by being a scrimper.

I am jealous of that gift. I still feel slighted if I don't get exactly what I want when I want it...old wounds you know.

Although lately I have had to wait till it goes on sale.

Character building a sense of satisfaction, the waiting in and of itself. By the time I can afford to purchase the "item/s" I really know whether or not I want it or if it is just an emotional "need" and I lose interest.

Recessions are not all bad...it awakens us to SIMPLICITY.

Gorgeous simplicity.

No comments:

Followers