Monday, April 16, 2012

Go girl!

Watching Ashley Judd jump all over the media for the right reason; objectifying women,supporting misogyny and supporting/promoting destructive body images for women both old and young. It made me furious,sad and frustrated because we seem to be helpless when it comes to creating a healthy consensus in regards to the female body through the decades. Dove products and their advertising are one good example of truth in advertising that promotes a positive image of what a real person looks like. Now days we are crucified when we “let ourselves go” burned at the proverbial stake as it were. I know because throughout my entire existence I have struggled with my body and I have allowed it to do what it needs to do and still go in front of the camera and sometimes looking awful but we still need to work. It has deeply impacted my career and prevented me from booking many jobs no doubt and it gives me pain but what am I to do I am a human being with fluctuating weight and everyday is a struggle to just stay healthy. I cannot complain the brush of divine beauty has been kind to me. Still what I think is the dark secret in this debate isn’t just the blatant male and by the way female enforced inequity in all aspect of society whether it is equal pay or equal standards of beauty which don’t exist. What really galls me and causes me to feel the most bruised is that the biggest culprits the most guilty people of keep women down and preventing “real” images to be the norm are women.If you listen carefully the women in power in the world make sure that they are one of a very small group of successful beings and sure enough if you look at them they look like this “a younger version of Candace bergen”. Look at the corporate profile of every top media outlet studio and you will see 99% Caucasian men with a smattering of females that look like Murphy Brown only thinner. The women will be blond maybe Jewish but definitely wasp looking. These very same people will be the harshest and will maintain the status quo. So how dare YOU be a normal looking women of a certain age in media. So Ashly Judd is right to be offended and I caution pointing the finger at men only when indeed it is the women in power who are as much to blame. It is that dirty secret of racism in the African American community that some of the biggest bigots against African Americans are African Americans. It follows the same in the Jewish community hence the higher appreciation for all things Brit; in Media all Media. We hate ourselves. Recently some one I admired died and it made me stop and realize that all the money in the world or fame or what have you matters NOT in the face of poor health. That we are all in the market for LOVE if you cannot get LOVE in a positive way we will distort it and get attention in a less productive way. Negative pleasure which is a whole article unto itself is another form although harmful to manifest a form of love or attention. We need to demand more examples of life that are reflective of life, we need to hold symposiums where maybe we can ‘out’ the true battle for equality and womens rights that seem to be up right now.There is a war on women being waged by men and WOMEN together! I say we need to be honest, the battle we are raging starts from within. There are legions of women whether it is from ignorance, daddy centric complexes or just plain self hate but there are a lot of women today who are keeping the greater whole in a fragile not so nice place and these sisters need to be educated and brought back into the fold. To be a fully realized women only enhances the life of the male and can bring happiness and peace to any couple. It doesn’t mean you are a man hating, lesbian.Not all Lesbians hate men I am just citing an obnoxious example. To be supportive and kind to other women and to extend generously to others enriches you and the greater whole. Will we ever trust that there is enough to go around? Be brave, kind and strong and vow to work for equality and the right to choose. Good luck to all of us, Go girl!

No comments:

Followers